Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sunday Trip to the Zoo and Pondering the Number 4

On Sunday afternoon, we made a spontaneous trip to the Blank Park Zoo. It was the elephants' last day (they were visiting for the summer). The girls didn't seem interested in watching the actual show, so we just watched them get ready for their show. We watched them get brushed and washed up for their performance.

We also visited the Baby Brazilian Sea Horses. They were born in May. To put things in perspective, they are in a regular sized fish bowl. Yes, they are extremely tiny. They are black.



It was feeding time for the bats. Bats are Big Sis's favorite animal. I think it's fun to take pictures of them...I get to use the Night Scene mode on my camera, which I think is COOL!





We had some down time while in line for the train. I decided to take some close-ups while we were wasting time. Here is Big Sis. She's starting to get a little bummed out that she doesn't have any loose teeth yet, however, we pointed out that she wouldn't be able to bite into an ear of corn if she had a loose tooth. Hopefully, that will boost here spirits for a few weeks.





Lil Sis enjoyed a little down time also. Looks like she's planning something mischievous. She's kind of like that. It's just her nature.

Today, we struggled a bit. She refused to sit in a chair at little kid story time at the library. After 3 failed attempts to sit in a chair, she ended up sitting on my lap in the play area at the library in a time out of sorts. I didn't allow her to play with toys, however, I explained to her she could rejoin story time if she wanted. We remained at a stalemate and we just sat there.



I continue to struggle with the whole 4-year-old thing. I know it's an important stage...increasing independence (can also be viewed as stubbornness), wanting to do big kid stuff, yet scared to and wanting to stay close to a parent. It's frustrating for all of us involved.

And, finally, our favorite part of living in Iowa in the summer. SWEET CORN aka CORN ON THE COB!!!! Very delicious!! The girls are getting very good at husking the ears. In fact, Cool Daddy-O and the girls husked the corn while I made a peach cobbler for dessert. We grilled hamburgers, too.




There's no way we can top that meal tonight. In fact, I'm not sure what we'll have tonight. Better sign off and think of something...I'm getting hungry!

4 comments:

Bennett and Ainsley said...

Man, I wish I could have a buttery, salty, peppery ear of sweet corn right this minute! Maybe we should have corn on the cob for our Friday play date...just kidding...not a breakfast food.

Churlita said...

Is it finally ready? I've tried a couple of weeks earlier and wasn't impressed with the corn. We'll have to get some this weekend.

Minyo said...

Yes, it's ready! It's not quite as sweet as it could be, but still pretty tasty.

Yes, we can have corn for our play date...it will be FUN!

BB Logan said...

fresh sweet corn ROCKS. wish we were there to eat a few dozen ears with you guys! you never know... eating corn on the cob might even help loosen some of those teeth.