Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Beginning of All Things Sisterly

Yesterday was the last day of school. It should have been a good day, right? Lil Sis wasn't impressed. AT. ALL!!! After screaming at the top of her lungs at WalMart, "You Bad Word, I don't like you anymore!" And hitting her sister if she got close to the cart. Yes, Lil Sis was stuck in the cart alone. They started out sharing the cart, but that's when the screaming and hitting began. We had a couple things we needed to buy and then a thing or two from our "want" list, including a ball to kick around (because they've managed to break 2 recently). Needless to say, we did not purchase anything fun. At the end of the trip, Big Sis received a smiley face sticker. Lil Sis did not. She almost always gets one.

Before our haircut, we stopped briefly at home to pick up a few things, including a peanut butter sandwich for each girl...that's another long story (I won't go there now). Then on to our neighbor's house for hair cuts. They did nicely during the last half of the appointment. The first half was rather tumultuous with more screaming and hitting. Mostly Lil Sis beating on Big Sis.

In the evening, after some private discussions, we came to the conclusion that Lil Sis wants Big Sis to keep going to school everyday. Despite loving each other and loving to play together, the thought of having to share mommy time has put Lil Sis over the edge.

To celebrate the end of the school year, I took Big Sis to the library to pick out some chapter books we can read together. One of our choices was "Alice In Wonderland". Believe it or not, I've never read it and I'm getting curious. Fortunately, I have someone I can read it to, so I don't feel so silly checking it out. We finished our outing with a trip to our favorite coffeehouse for a celebratory cookie. Then home for a bath and bed.

Jump with me now, to this morning...

We eventually managed to mix up waffle batter. That was a challenge. The girls got in a bit of a tiff over who got to add each ingredient....I lost my cool and sent them to a different room. Big Sis did manage to successfully break an egg into a bowl, which sent Lil Sis into a tantrum, because she's not yet allowed to do that task.

Big Sis opened her present from her Godfather this morning (instead of a Christmas or Birthday present, she gets a baptism anniversary present from him). She received Magic Tree House books, Magic School Bus books, and a geometric coloring book. We're looking forward to reading some good books.

Since breakfast they've been playing fairly nicely. Then Lil Squirt appeared declaring, "Big Sis hit me right here on purpose." She was pointing at her wrist. My response, "What do you think we should do with her?" She got a huge grin and retorted, "Throw her in the garbage can!" I think she feels all better now. Sometimes you just have to vent frustrations a bit.

I think we're going to have a good summer.....we just have to get through this nasty transitional period and re-establish every one's roles in the house.

All will be well, trust me :)

Note: Lil Sis really was calling Big Sis "BAD WORD". At least she used restraint and didn't say any bad words. Big Sis and I just looked at each other and chuckled that she was yelling "BAD WORD" rather than actually saying one of the bad words she knows.

2 comments:

Bennett and Ainsley said...

I'm sorry about this difficult experience, but it is pretty funny to read about. I'm sure in one more year when it becomes my experience, I will not be so quick to chuckle. Poor Big Sis, undergoing such treatment that is undeserved. Poor Little Sis, mourning the loss of her "only child" time. Poor mom, probably struggling to not say a real "bad word." At least you know that all the fuss is over you and your girls love you so much!

Churlita said...

Transitions are a always hard. I love it that she called her "bad word" without actually using one. Adorable.