Monday, August 11, 2008

Now, I'm Going On Vacation!!

The past week has been excitingly chaotic. On Wednesday, we began our little family vacation by going to the zoo in Omaha where we met up with friends. We then spent two nights in our capital city and attended the Iowa State Fair. We had a blast! Most of our time was spent experiencing "Little Hands On The Farm", the "Butterfly Pavilion", and the "Animal Learning Center". We highly recommend all three activities for children of all ages. Lil Sis and I watched a chick hatch. We have the video, actually. I'll post pictures at a later time.
We had so much fun at the fair, that Cool Daddy-O and I returned on Saturday while the girls had a slumber party with g-pa and g-ma.
On Sunday, we attended a family reunion. Following the reunion, we were talking about our little vacation and my sister-in-law asked how we liked staying in Iowa. I told her it was fun, but we would have rather gone to Colorado. My dad immediately said he'd love to go if someone would take him. He's 82 and recently widowed and loves Colorado. He even offered to buy gas, lodging and food for anyone who would take him. After I realized he was serious, Cool Daddy-O and I had a little conference outside. He had an awesome idea and we're going with it.
Dad and I are leaving in the morning and we're driving straight to the front range. We'll spend time sightseeing in Colorado for 2 days and then we'll drive home on Friday. Cool Daddy-O is going to spend the rest of the week at home, half working, half vacationing and having fun with the girls.
Lil Sis and I cried when I told her the plan. Big Sis begrudgingly said it would be o.k. for me to take grandpa on his vacation. Cool Daddy-O has promised lots of fun going to the park, playing with play dough, painting, a slumber party in the living room, and swimming in the little pool if it gets hot. They're pretty excited about the whole deal now.
We're calling it Daddies and Daughters week. I hope to be able to post daily from the road about our adventures. I won't be able to include pictures, but I'll describe things best I can.
For the first time in a long time, the backseat of the Accord is "empty" and void of any signs of children. We moved the Britax seats to the Civic, so the girls can ride in style this week.
Gotta get packing...more later from the road!

1 comment:

Churlita said...

My girls loved the Omaha zoo.

Colorado is one place that we didn't go this Summer. We went to Breckenridge when the girls were younger and they really loved it. Have a great time.