Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Soccer Season Starts as a Cool Front Approaches

Tonight was Lil Sis' first ever soccer practice. Not surprisingly, yet ever so frustratingly, she was extremely shy and refused to participate at the beginning. I struggled between holding her hand and walking her through the steps, to standing with my hands on my hips in frustration.

I finally had a little heart to heart. She said she wanted to play soccer, but wanted everyone else to leave. I reminded her that soccer is a team sport and they need to play together. She then asked if she could still keep her shirt if she didn't play. I told her no, she'd have to give it back. Her shirt is her favorite color (yellow) and I knew that would have an impact on her.

Soon after that, she started participating, first taking turns kicking the ball across the field with me....then before we all knew it, she had this huge grin on her face after she kicked the ball! From then on, I was able to stand on the side lines and cheer her on. She returned often for high fives, low fives, etc.

Near the end, her team had a scrimmage with another team. She did her thing and was soooooo cute with her shin guards, soccer socks, and soccer cleats on. Once after a big play where another kid kicked the ball when she was trying to, she came walking toward me with a weird look. I thought her feelings or foot had been hurt, but when I asked her what was wrong, she said she was thirsty. She got a little drink and ran back on the field. Next time we'll encourage her to wait til there's a break in the action, but at that point, I was so happy that she was participating, I didn't care.

After practice was over, Lil Sis insisted on staying at the soccer fields and kicking the ball some more. Fortunately, we had our 2 soccer balls in the trunk, so the girls went to one of the full sized fields and practiced scoring goals against Cool Daddy-O!

On another note (pun intended), the song that Uncle John plays drums on is #1 on the Country charts this week! WhooHoo!!! Big Sis wants to know if that means he's famous now. Kudos to
Jimmy Wayne and "Do You Believe Me Now"!!! If you're looking for some good music, go buy the CD or download it! Yeah, I'm biased, but I think it's pretty awesome, and I'm not really even a big country music fan! I just like all good music!

1 comment:

Churlita said...

Lil sis is a girl after my own heart. That's why I run, because I'm not the best at team sports.

My oldest daughter used to be terrified of the ball, but she grew to love soccer and still plays on her high school team.