Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Fun Weekend!

We had a good weekend with lots of fun!  I already posted about Friday, so I'll begin with Saturday.  

We went to a fall festival celebration at a Pioneer Farm.  We saw how to build a fire using flint, the girls made necklaces, ropes, and yarn dolls.  We also learned about candle dipping, soap making, honey / beekeeping, popcorn popping over a fire, living in a log cabin, etc. 

Lil Sis receives the rope she just made.


Big Sis churns butter.
 
The girls sit in at a desk in the one room school. 


The girls loved playing in this corn pile.  They dumped corn out of their pockets at home. 
Here's a bit of trivia.  This is the only mule cemetery in Iowa.


Cool Daddy-O drove the tractor in the parade.  While we waited on the parade to start, the girls had fun rolling down the hill.  I'm sure pioneer kids rolled down hills for entertainment also.
 

Saturday night, we went to a marching band competition.  Big Sis passed the time coloring and playing with her Leapster.  Lil Sis actually watched the show and decided she will be a member of the color guard when she's in high school.  She says she'll play an instrument too.  For now, her decision is to play trumpet.  I'm sure she'll change her mind a few times before she decides on one.

On Sunday, we went to church.  I accompanied Lil Sis to her Sunday school class.  Today was the first day of class and she was a bit nervous about staying alone.  I'm glad I stayed.  She was fine, and I was able to help out a bit with the other kids while I was there.

After a quick lunch, the girls went out for some fun with Cool Daddy-O.  They rode bikes, practiced soccer and played at the elementary playground.  While they were out and about, I printed out some information for geocaching and ran some errands.  

We all met up again at the elementary and finally found the cache we'd unsuccessfully looked for several times.  We remained in town and found 3 more caches.  I'm proud to say I spied all four of them first.  Usually, Big Sis is able to spy some first, but the girls were a bit distracted today.

The weather was very nice and warm this weekend and it was quite pleasant to be outside.  Lil Sis is prepared for the first day of fall tomorrow.  Happy last day of summer everyone.  

We visited our local drug store today and they were stocking their Christmas merchandise today.  I don't think walmart even has their Christmas stuff out yet.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

I remember rolling down hills until I almost puked. Then I remember how itchy I was afterward in the evening before I took my bath. I have to say, I haven't rolled down a hill in quite some time.

John Deere Mom said...

Looks like a great weekend! My kids would LOVE the corn box!