Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Beautiful Saturday in Iowa

This photo sums up our day's progress. We spent most of the day enjoying the outdoors. We spent the morning brainstorming plans for the day. As a result, we borrowed a rototiller from a neighbor and re-established our garden area that had been reclaimed by our lawn for the past several years. Now that the girls are older, I can no longer use an excuse of having a baby or a toddler. In fact, I think this year, I have little weed pullers. At least, I hope that's what they're going to do.

After tilling, we worked in some peat moss and cow manure into the soil. While the girls and I ran to town, Cool Daddy-O rescued the tractor from winter storage and took it out for a spin. While we were out we bought seeds, including: zucchini, green beans, lima beans, peas, and carrots. We also bought some bunny repellent (little sis suggested this as a way to keep rabbits away). I didn't even know such things existed. After our break, we planted 7 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants, and 3 broccoli plants. We forgot to sprinkle the anti-bunny granules tonight...we'll do that tomorrow. I hope the bunnies don't eat stuff tonight. We planted our basil plants (we grew some from seed and bought one established plant) in our deck container. We also bought a mint plant (our neighbor sprayed poison on ours), and seeds for oregano and chives. I think that's all the gardening excitement. After tilling and starting the tractor, Cool Daddy-O is preparing for extremely sore arm muscles tomorrow.

I'm ashamed to admit that we finally removed the snowy penguin themed welcome mat from the front entrance to our home today. Now, I need to replace it with something more seasonally appropriate.

For supper, we drove to Country Inn Pizza a few miles to the north. We had heard great recommendations from friends recently about this little restaurant. Tonight we were brave enough to try something new. We declare the pizza to be most delicious. In fact, Cool Daddy-O commented that he wouldn't mind if that pizza was waiting for him at home some night after work. He had sausage and Canadian bacon on his half and declared it an awesome combination. I had pepperoni and mushrooms on my half. Also quite tasty, although I'm daring enough to try additional combinations. The girls each had a corn dog and shared a tossed salad. Much to our surprise, they chose water for their beverages.

On our short drive home, I saw something cool, slowed down, made a U-turn in the middle of the highway and drove back to see it again. What was worth turning around for you ask? 2 Canadian Geese and their 9 goslings following them and waddling around. It was so worth it. As I was admiring them, Cool Daddy-O said he sees that sight at work all the time, and didn't think it was all that out of the ordinary. It's just not fair that he gets to go to a job he loves and sees baby geese every day in the spring/summer months.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

Nothing's hotter than seeing a man riding a tractor...Or maybe I've just lived in Iowa too long.